All of the STEPCRAFT machines can be configured to 3D printer mode! Take advantage of the modular design and simply swap the spindle (or other) from the 43 mm mounting collar on the machine and put the 3D Print Head in instead to produce high-quality printing results!
STEPCRAFT 3D printer operation
The STEPCRAFT 3D Print Head uses an extruding system to push a 1.75 mm filament of different types through a heated nozzle. The machine moves the nozzle to print a plastic layer. The layers must be generated by specific 3D printer software CURA that is provided with the STEPCRAFT 3D printing system.
What do you need to use your STEPCRAFT as a 3D printer?
You will need the STEPCRAFT 3D Print Head as shown in the image. This consists of the 3D Print Head that sits in the 43 mm collar of any of the STEPCRAFT machines, and the thermal controller. You will also need the Slicing software (that comes with the STEPCRAFT 3D printer package) and a Gcode based machine controller (WinPC USB full version, Mach3 or other).
What software do I need to use the STEPCRAFT 3D printer?
The STEPCRAFT 3D printer comes with the software parameters for the well-know CURA slicing software available as download, too. The software can be used to import 3D files (in STL format). The 3D file is then sliced into layers and toolpaths are generated to allow the machine to reproduce the 3D part ? layer ? by layer. The output from the slicer software is 4 axis Gcode. Therefore you will require a full machine controller / Gcode interpreter to use the system. WinPC USB full version, Mach3 or other software.
How does the STEPCRAFT 3D printer work?
The STEPCRAFT 3D Print Head feeds a filament of 1.75 mm plastic through a brass nozzle that has been heated to the melting point of the plastic. The machine is used to move the nozzle to where the plastic is needed. Typically 2D layers are built up in stages using the printing nozzle until your 3D part is finished. Note: The control software WinPC-NC Starter does not support the configuration of the 3D Print Head. You are in need of an upgrade to the USB full version or the control software UCCNC.
Technical Specification (Control Box):
- Temperature control between 150 to 265 degree Celsius (equals 300 to 500 degree Fahrenheit)
- Integrated system control to handle print temperature and temperature of the heating bed
- Continuous speed control of the optional workpiece fan
- Automatic shutdown of hot-end and heating bed when printing is finished
- 2-row LC-Display
- Language Setting (German, English, French, Spanish)
- 15-Sub-D plug to connect control box to STEPCRAFT CNC-system (Plug-and-Play)
- external power supply with 30 V 120 W
- Integration on other CNC-routers possible due to documented interface (see operating instruction)
- Dimension: L 200 mm x W 165 mm x H 64 mm
Technical specification (Printing Head):
- Possible diameter of filament: 1.75 mm
- Filament material can be any material with an processing temperature between 150 to 265 degree Celsius (equals 300 to 500 degree Fahrenheit)
- Nozzle diameter 0.4 mm, optional nozzle diameters available (0.3, 0.5, 0.7 and 1.0 mm)
- Integrated active cooling for the hot-end
- Pressure of pinch roller for the feed of filament is continuously adjustable
- Quick release for filament change
- Integrated connector socket for optional workpiece fan
- 43 mm mounting collar
- 40 Watts heating cartridge (hot-end)
- Length of flexible hose connection: 0.8 m
- Easy change of printing nozzle
- Dimension: L 80 mm x W 55 mm x H 110 mm
Additional 4th axis module to control the 3D Print Head is not required for operation via USB-interface. The control software of the STEPCRAFT must be UCCNC or Win PC-NC as a full version, newest release with 3D printing functionality Existing Win PC-NC installations can be easily updated free of charge Any other CNC control software with 4th axis capability can be used.
- 1 x control box with print head PH-40 and 0,4 mm nozzle
- 1 x power supply
- 1 x 15-Sub-D connection cable
- 1 x acrylic printing table 150 x 250 mm (unheated)
- 1 x filament tray (assembly kit)
- 1 x operating manual with various download links
- 1 x first steps manual